Beliefs on Classroom management
What are my perspectives on management
and discipline?

I
want my classroom to be a learning process for everyone, parents, community,
colleagues and the children. When it comes to discipline, my philosophy is
closer to perennialism. I believe students have to have rules and
guidelines to be successful in the classroom. I believe in respect, obedience
and hard work, but I believe that everyone involved should come up with classroom
rules and guidelines. I would like to be a fun teacher, I would
like my students to know that we can have fun and play but I also want them to
know I have rules that need to be followed. Respect is also a big issue for me
in the classroom; I believe that students need to not only respect me as the
teacher but themselves and their classmates as well. In the classroom, I
believe there needs to be hands on activities, which helps children retain
information better, technology, which is always changing, cooperative learning,
where children solve problems together, groups, group discussions, nature walk and outside learning and class
meetings. I also want to teach children responsibility by giving them little
chores around the classroom. In real life society learns from each other and I
believe we should bring that cooperation and those skills in to the classroom.
I believe the more like society we make our classroom, the easier transition it
will be when students leave the classroom. I believe all children learn
at different rates and we as teachers need to make room for that as well as
accommodations and tweaks to our curriculum. I believe children need to learn
in an environment that every child’s voice is heard and they feel free to
express themselves. The teaching and learning environment has to be secure,
stimulating, fun and safe. I believe children need a curriculum that interests
them, that is relevant to their lives and that they are an active part of their
learning process. With an interesting curriculum, it enhances children’s
motivation, want and need to learn. Lastly
I want to talk about a nice quote I found from the book ‘Wasting Minds’, It says
“Today’s students come from different income levels, cultures, learn in
different ways and at different speeds and have different aspirations, talents
and problems.” I believe students are not cookie cutter copies of each other,
and cannot be educated with this ‘cookie cutter' approach. I believe we need to
take each child in to consideration when creating a curriculum tailored to them.
For students to learn in real life situations, they need to be in those
situations. With no traditional core curriculum, students, parents and children
are able to work collaboratively to design the students’ curriculum.
How will my classroom be set up to
support this belief?
I
believe the more nature brought in to the classroom the better. I believe in
wooden furniture, natural toys and as much real life tools and objects you can
get to fit a child’s small hands and feet. I would like to set up my
classroom with stations where the children can go from one activity to another
depending on what interests them. I will set up my classroom where everyone has
a voice which will be heard.
No comments:
Post a Comment