Andria's Teaching Philosophy
What are my beliefs about the nature of learners?
My role as a teacher?
I love children and always have. I enjoy watching children learn and that ‘Ahh Haa moment’ when a child really understands something they may have struggled with in the past. For me to see a child learn and grow is very fulfilling and rewarding. I believe teachers need to provide materials and curricula that reach all three learning styles which are hands on, kinesthetic and auditory learners. What I want to bring to the classroom is discipline, equality, fairness, understanding, encouragement, consistency, structured independence, patience and kindness. That is what I feel is the most important with children. As a teacher I want to reach every student with more guiding and less lecturing. I will value the children’s differences and help them to value each other’s as well. I want to help children grow and mature emotionally, intellectually, physically and socially. I want to teach children good morals and values, while respecting and encouraging the ones they may have at home. I want to teach every child that they are special to the class, that they bring something unique and believe in them, which will help them believe in themselves. I believe teachers need a lot of time for observation and planning. As a teacher I will evaluate my teaching strategies and be open to change. I know teaching is a continual learning and growing process. Just as much as I teach my students, I will be learning just as much from them. Like the love of learning I have, I want to instill a love of learning in each child that I teach. I want to teach children that life is an educational setting, and help them learn tolerance and patience through a cooperative learning and living environment. I want
to be a good teacher
that challenges my students, inspires them, nourishes there curiosity and shows
children that teaching is an act of love. I want to be an advisor to students;
motivating them and helping them manage their education. I want to get to know
my students family, coaches of my students, mentors and anyone else that is
part of my student’s life. I believe we should all work collaboratively to create a little
community to support children.
Role of schools?
What is knowledge and what is worth knowing?
Knowledge is everything. Knowledge is facts, information, and skills acquired by a student through experience or education. Knowledge is the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. Knowledge is also awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact or situation. I don’t think one type of knowledge is better than another. Education helps children learn to lead healthy, happy, successful lives. I believe that education should help children develop and internalize concepts that will help them to survive in the rapidly changing world of the present and future. I believe that education provides meaningful experiences that help children think, solve problems, communicate ideas, and develop an interest in improving themselves. I also believe that moral character is very important and worth knowing. This moral character would include Awareness, Values, Reasoning, Decision-making, Self-knowledge, Self-esteem, Empathy, Loving the good, Self-control, Citizenship, Good discipline, and good learning habits. I believe that anything a child leans and can benefit from is worth knowing.
What is the purpose of education?

Where do content and skills fit in?
I believe the hidden curriculum is as much, if not more, important to children’s futures as the stated, written curriculum. I completely agree with the quote in the book 'Wasting Minds' by Ronald Wolk, where he says, “Schools provide individual learning plans for special needs students because they are ‘different’; well every student is different and deserves an individual learning plan.”
No comments:
Post a Comment